Subject: Re: Sun3 xdm
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.del.ufrj.br>
From: Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/23/1997 20:38:21
Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires wrote:

 > I'm having some troubles running xdm in my Sun 3/60.
 > root until someone logs in.  When this happens, xdm's scripts
 > launch the window manager and registers the user with sessreg,
 > that's the usual thing.  If the user runs a xterm, id(1) will
 > return his uid, finger will show him as the owner of the tty
 > but talk(1) with tell the remote end to answer with
 > "talk root@phoenix.del.ufrj.br".

I've seen this once before on a FreeBSD system (you miht find that
ftp will default to (hostname:root) as a username when you connect
elsewhere too).

I "fixed" it by recompiling xdm.  I think the binary I had did
not make use of the setlogin() system call to identify the currently
logged in user, meaning that all of its child processes ran with the
inherited default of "root".  I made sure I had a call to setlogin()
in the newly compiled xdm, and the problem went away.

Cheers,

    - mark

I tried an internal modem,                          newton@dotat.org
     but it hurt when I walked.                          Mark Newton
----- Voice: +61-4-1155-2401 ------------- Fax: +61-8-83732527 -----