Subject: Sun3 xdm
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.del.ufrj.br>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/22/1997 18:45:55
Hello, everyone.

I'm having some troubles running xdm in my Sun 3/60.

At boot time, I call xdm in rc.local and, therefore, it runs as
root until someone logs in.  When this happens, xdm's scripts
launch the window manager and registers the user with sessreg,
that's the usual thing.  If the user runs a xterm, id(1) will
return his uid, finger will show him as the owner of the tty
but talk(1) with tell the remote end to answer with
"talk root@phoenix.del.ufrj.br".

This looks bad to me, as someone could make use of a program
that would allow him to get a root prompt.  And while I can
remove the suid flag from xterm, if I do that I won't be able
to have utmp and wtmp log xterm-sessions.

I'd appreciate any information on what I am doing wrong in
anything described above, and how I can correct them.

Thanks in advance.

---
	Pappires