Subject: Re: diskless booting .. netif_get: timeout ?
To: None <noud@knot.nl>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/20/1997 15:17:58
> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:08:37 +0100
> From: noud@knot.nl (noud de brouwer)

[...]
> it goes alot further now..
> >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision: 1.5$]
[...]
> netif_get: timeout; resetting
> net_open: NFS mount error=-1
> boot: netbsd: Unknown error: code -1
> boot:

Looks like mountd did not respond.

> nfs and mountd (had to enable in /etc/inetd.conf)
> nfsd ain't in inetd.conf, is that correct??
>
> mountd -d does choke on the -alldirs in exports so i gave the
> dirs seperately..is that known to faile and a correct
> 'work around'??

It depends on what the server is running.
Maybe "man mountd" will offer hints...

Make sure the server grants "root" access to the client.

> is my idee correct that with only miniroot & netbsd-rd in /export/sun60/root
> and a /export/sun60/swap i must be able to boot to the prompt??
>
> given a 4mb 3/60 is 6mb swap anough for now?

For purposes of installation, you need only netbsd-rd in the
root directory for the client.  The netbsd-rd kernel demands
that a swap file exist, but it may be zero length.

Gordon