Subject: GENERIC weirdness (finding SCSI root) fixed
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/18/1997 18:31:29
> From: "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr>
> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 96 11:33:12 EST
>
> > Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:47:49 -0600 (CST)
> > From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
> >
> > I discovered that a GENERIC kernel would always somehow leap to the
> > conclusion that root and swap were on sd1{a,b}, which was not right.
> > In fact, sd1 wasn't configured.  I tried setting the kernel to configure
> > only the disk I have, as sd0, (no sd* configure), and it *still* couldn't
> > find the root device, so I removed options GENERIC and configured netbsd
> > on sd0a; this works, but seems overkill.
> >
> > -s
>
> Yeah, that's an item on my todo list.
>
> The current config makes sd[0-3]* match the traditional SunOS
> devices by those names (t0d0, t0d1, t1d0, t1d1) which is a hack.
>
> What swapgeneric.c should do instead is use the dk_establish()
> hook to record the relationship between the sd?? device assigned
> by the SCSI driver and the PROM description of that device.

I've finally killed off that old hack for guessing which SCSI disk
was the root device, and replaced it with something that can always
figure out the actual kernel name for any SCSI boot device.

This was made possible in part by the whizzy new setroot stuff
added to -current by Jason Thorpe.  (Thanks!)

Gordon