Subject: Re: Can't boot -current
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@netbsd.warped.com>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@crux.del.ufrj.br>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/18/1997 07:47:20
Hello.

> > Could this be a problem in compat_12 or any other compat_*?  Does
> > this problem happen to anyone run has always kept in pace with
> > -current?
>
> I don't think it's a COMPAT_* problem, since my original (normal
> kernel config for my machine) has no COMPAT_* items defined, and I
> get the same behaviour with it, as I do with GENERIC (all COMPAT_*
> items defined).

I downloaded yesterday's source (1997-02-17) and ran config again.
The kernel compiled but the last ld would not run, reporting
"virtual memory exhausted".  This happened across all of my Sun3
machines.  Could gcc/ld be causing the kernel to compile with
errors and and so be unable to call init?

I imagine that this problem with ld is a problem in GNU compiler
distribution (because I've read in this list many complaints about
things that did not compile with one flag or another), right?  Is
there any patched version available?  I built the latest ld from
the source tree and it did not work either.

---
	Pappires