Subject: Re: 3/60 "internal" SCSI...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A.Arnold <arnold@zam331.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/17/1997 08:56:12
>Someone on this list had mentioned working something out allowing for
>use of an internal SCSI drive on a Sun 3/60.  I'd be very interested
>in looking at this, could someone send me pointers to any docs explaining
>it in greater detail?

I had such a configuration for a few months in my 3/60.  Hear to the SCSI
connector, you will find a free place to solder in an internal 50-pin SCSI
connector.   Additionally, the 3/60 board has a free space that fits exactly
for a 3,5 inch, 1 inch heigth drive.  The only tricky thing is to get power
for the drive.  Next to the free space for the drive, there are free solder
points for a standard 4-pin power connector.  However, this connector doesn't
carry 12V by default...I solved this with a piece of wire that connects the
free 12V pin to the 12V fuse for the ethernet interface.  However, I had to
remove the drive when I added a CG4 card to my 3/60.  The machine ran too hot,
and the Ethernet interface started making trouble.  I guess this is due to the
power supply that couldn't drive the additional load reliably, so your results
may be better if you use a drive with a very low power consumption (I used
a 340MB drive from Maxtor).

One note more: The 3/60's SCSI controller has termination resistors that
cannot be removed,  However, with an internal drive, the drive becomes the
end of the SCSI bus, so the correct way would be to unsolder the controller's
terminators and enable termination on the drive.  I didn't do that and
experienced no problems: The 3/60's SCSI bus isn't the fastest, and the
additional piece of cable is quite short.  If you still want to move the
resistors, keep in mind that some models of the 3/60 (like mine :-( ) short
the TERMPWR line to ground, so the drive has to provide its own termination
power (I blew 3 fuses on DAT streamers before I found out this!) .

Alfred Arnold

Alfred Arnold                                 Phone: +49 (2461) 61-2434
Zentralinstitut fuer Angewandte Mathematik    Fax  : +49 (2461) 61-6656
Forschungszentrum Juelich                     E-Mail: a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de
D-52425 Juelich, Germany

There is three kind of people, those who can count and those who can't. :)