Subject: Re: -current kernel hangs/init busy loops
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/16/1997 13:21:18
On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> Well, I finally got my cross-compile stuff working, and decided to take the
> plunge, and update my Sun3 system with cross-compiled binaries and kernel.
>
> The bins all work wonderfully, but the kernel doesn't.  It goes through
> the initialization okay, but as soon as it runs init, bad things happen.
>
> So, I decided to compare the cross-compiled kernel to one build on my
> Sun3...
> and there was no difference in behaviour, which leads me to beleive it's
> a problem in -current.  The symtoms are...
>
> When booting with GENERIC, init runs, and then it loops on
> 'init got Signal 10'.  L1-A into the kernel ddb, and do a 'ps', shows that
> only init, swapper, and pagedaemon are running.

I saw a similar problem on my SE/30 when I updated to 1.2. I had booted
single user and then installed all the tar files. When I rebooted, I got
the "signal 10" messages. I then rebooted single user and did an fsck. One
file was sick, and when I fixed it, all was well. IIRC, the sick file was
init, which probably stemmed from the fact it was in use while I was
installing. When it got unlinked, it stayed around (as it was open). Since
there was no way to unmount the root fs with init closed, there was a
problem. :-)

I think the moreal of the story is to move init to something else and
install the new init, rather than installing via a tar x... --unlink.

Take care,

Bill