Subject: Re: sc driver
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/15/1997 08:47:56
I sat down and played with my sc driver this morning.

I am glad to report that I now have it to the point where it is
beginning to be usable.  It now does reads and writes, without spamming
the console with stupid printfs.  It ain't fast; most notably, I
haven't played with DMA yet.  But using PIO, I could fsck and mount a
filesystem, copy a file to it, read it back....

I still have a weirdness with the START_STOP comand; I don't know why,
but it seems to want a seventh byte of cdb after 1b 00 00 00 01 00.  I
don't think it's the device; the same drive works fine when I put it on
the si that's in the same machine.  (Unless the si driver is kludging
around such a thing somehow, of course.)  Based on a remark from
someone who said that it maybe wasn't restricted to 6-byte cdbs, I
tried removing the restriction and letting it try sending larger
commands, and the READ_CAPACITY command works Just Fine.

If you're willing to ignore a couple of noise messages and accompanying
SCSI bus resets, and can put up with slow data transfers, this driver
may be minimally usable for you.  I now intend to start trying to make
DMA work.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca