Subject: SunOS 5.x hard-drive errors
From: Wonko the Sane @ ~ <wonko@rtfm.wonko.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1997 22:23:52
well, i get to come to you guys yet again with a non-sun, non-netbsd question.

my ss5 (running Solaris 2.5.1) is giving me trouble with my second SCSI drive.
i'm getting the error (as reported by format:analyze, which it is fixing)

WARNING: /iommu@blah/blah/blah/sd@2,0
 (sd2):
 	Error for Command: read  Error Level: Retryable
 	Requested Block:  0	 Error Block: 1975973 (this changes)
 	Vendor: QUANTUM			 Serial Number:  QS9410194544
 	Sense Key: Media Error
 	ASC: 0x11  (unrecoverable read error), ASCQ: 0x0,  FRU: 0x0
Medium error during read: block 1975973 (0x1e26a5 (2308/3/4)
ASC: 0x11   ASCQ: 0x0
Repairing hard error on 1975973 (2308/3/4)...ok.

it's picking this up on lots and lots of areas on the HDD.  what is this a
sign of?  HDD failure??  this has happened before, but not as much before.
i'd like to stop this from happening as it messes up my files quite a bit. :)

after this is all over i'll run fsck and it will repair some stuff.  if you need
the output of fsck let me know and i'll send it along.

thank you guys a million, and sorry i have to ask so many non-topic questions.
but it seems that netbews is a waste of time anymore these days, plus you guys
seem to know a hell of a lot.

-wonko