Subject: "everything dumps core" - clue?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1997 08:21:51
I may have a clue for the "everything dumps core" bug, but be damned if
I can figure out what it means. :-/

I run two -3/260s at home, daily-planet and twig.  daily-planet had two
si boards in it; recently, I pulled one of them and replaced it with an
sc, to work on the sc driver.  I was careful to set the sc address
switches to a non-standard address ("sc0 at vmes0 addr 0xff208000 level
2 vect 0x42" is what I'm using in my kernel config) so that I could
boot a kernel without the sc driver and it would have no risk of
getting underfoot.

However, since then, three times, upon rebooting I've gotten "getty
repeating too rapidly on /dev/kd" (or whatever the exact message is),
and upon rebooting again there's a getty.core in /.  To me, this looks
exactly like a typical "everything dumps core".  HOWEVER, if it makes
it up to the point of giving me a login prompt, it has never - yet, at
least - gone into "everything dumps core" mode after that.  (This
applies to reboots of kernels without the sc driver in them; the kernel
with the sc driver is liable to be flaky anyway, I figure, at this
point.)  I suppose I should beat on it - maybe do a "make build" - and
see if I can provoke it....

The weird thing is, why would replacing si1 with an sc0 at an unusual
address start provoking everything dumps core?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca