Subject: (a) -3/260 cooling; (b) sc
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/04/1997 07:48:13
I wrote, yesterday,

> I'm running two -3/260s with NetBSD/sun3.  [...]
> My question is about cooling.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It seems there is a bank of fans
under the cardcage, set up to pull air down through the cards.  On the
"runs hot" machine, (a) this bank of fans was severely out of position
(much too far from the cardcage - whoever last put it in place was
quite careless) and (b) the dust-catcher screen was so clogged with
dust I would be inclined to call it felt rather than dust.  The fans
themselves appeared to be in operating shape, but given the
circumstances it is not surprising that they didn't make much happen
when they turned.

Once I figured out how to get to those fans, took them out, cleaned off
the screen, and put them back _correctly_, the machine now runs cooler
than the other.  (Next time I have the other out where I can work on
it, I'm going to pull that bank of fans from it too; it's probably in
need of cleaning, but certainly not as critically.)

On a completely different note, I replaced one of the scsi controllers
in daily-planet with an sc, so now I have a machine to play with the sc
driver on.  I may actually be able to make some progress with it, now,
if I'm lucky. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca