Subject: -3/260 cooling question
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/03/1997 18:17:58
I'm running two -3/260s with NetBSD/sun3.  This is not, strictly, a
NetBSD question, but this seems to be where the sun3 experts hang out,
and I _am_ running NetBSD, so I hope I can be forgiven asking this
here.

My question is about cooling.

One machine ("twig") is configured thus:

	Slot 1	CPU
	Slot 2	Empty
	Slot 3	Empty
	Slot 4	Empty
	Slot 5	32MB memory
	Slot 6	32MB memory
	Slot 7	SCSI (si in SCSI-on-DB50 adapter)
	Slot 8	cg2 framebuffer
	Slot 9	Empty
	Slot 10	\ some sort of graphics accelerator (unused by NetBSD)
	Slot 11	/ possibly the GP/GB?  (barcode tags gone)
	Slot 12	Empty

This machine runs quite hot.  When I lay my hand on the backs of the
four boards in slots 5 through 8, they are hot enough to be disturbing;
in particular, touching the unused BNC connector on the cg2 just above
the sync connector is hot enough that it's somewhat uncomfortable
(though probably not hot enough to actually injure me).

The other machine ("daily-planet") is configured thus:

	Slot 1	CPU
	Slot 2	Empty
	Slot 3	8MB memory
	Slot 4	8MB memory
	Slot 5	Empty
	Slot 6	8MB memory
	Slot 7	SCSI (si in SCSI-on-P2 adapter)
	Slot 8	SCSI (si in SCSI-on-DB50 adapter)
	Slot 9	Empty
	Slot 10	cg2 framebuffer
	Slot 11	Empty
	Slot 12	Empty

This machine is fine; the backs of the boards are cool to the touch.

Is this much heat simply to be expected, or is there actually something
to be concerned about here?  I do realize that I have four boards
packed fairly tightly with a three-slot space next to them, but I
wouldn't expect them to run _this_ hot.  The two fans at the top back
of the machine are turning, apparently normally.  Are there other fans
that might need looking at?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca