Subject: Re: Sun3 monitors (a bit off-topic)
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Nathan J Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/29/1996 20:08:43
   Is it at all possible to use the 20 (21?) inch b/w screen that came
   with sun3/60s on a VGA card? My sun3 NetBSD machine doesn't really need
   its screen, I can handle it with a serial console, but I'd love to
   hook that screen up to one of my i386 machines.

	Possible but probably messy. The Sun hardware FAQ
(ftp://ftp.picarefy.com/pub/Sun-Hardware-Ref/*) goes into some detail
about the old mono interface. The video is ECL logic level, the sync
is TTL logic level, running at 66Hz vertical and 61.8KHz
horizontal. If you can convince a VGA board to run at those
frequencies you *might* be able to build a box to convert the sync and
signal from VGA to ECL/TTL logic levels. Lots of hardware hacking...

	- Nathan