Subject: Re: A few general interest questions...
To: None <fair@clock.org>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/18/1996 15:10:07
> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:54:42 -0800
> From: "Erik E. Fair" (Time Keeper) <fair@clock.org>

> At 7:30 -0800 11/18/96, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
> >
> >There is almost exactly zero FP code in plain NetBSD.
>
> If that were really true, the folks working on the mac68k port wouldn't be
> tearing their hair out over the currently inadequate FPU emulation support.
> Might be nice to put together a list of programs that do use FP sometime,
> and perhaps even eliminiate some use of floating point when it's not
> absolutely necessary...

I used to verify that I could boot into multi-user without an FPU
and for quite a while, that worked (with simple emulation).
(The sun3 has a H/W bit to disable the FPU.)

We have some programs that use float variables just to compute a
percentage, where an integer holding 100ths would do as well.
Some others save/restore FP registers that are not used...

A few actually use FP (very few as I recall).

Gordon