Subject: A few general interest questions...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/17/1996 00:56:40
First off, does anything fatal happen to a machine with an FPU if I remove
"-msoft-float" from my compile options?  Does it *help* at all to do so?
How much floating point do we do, anyway?

(I'm assuming the chip labeled "68881" is an FPU.  :) )

Secondly, are there any reccommended ways to "tune" Sun3 systems?  Apart,
that is, from removing kernel options you don't use...

I know that, on the Amiga port, locore.s could be hacked to speed a system
up detectably by #ifdef'ing the code that selects, with every MMU operation,
whether to do the '040 or the '030 version; would this be a meaningful
improvement for the sun3 port?  (If so, I suspect it should pend the 3/80
being done, because that'll probably massively alter locore.s.)

(Hmm, also, in building sys/arch/sun3/stand, I keep getting

>panic.o: Undefined symbol `_vprintf' referenced from text segment

... looks like I need to do some more hacking on this.)

-s