Subject: Re: uugetty for NetBSD
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/07/1996 00:17:46
  Mouse, where did this discussion originate? I forget now.

    Curt> On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Michael Richardson wrote:

    >> Neither am I. I prefer to keep it in userland. I'd even be
    >> willing to throw all of the line discipline stuff away and have
    >> a "getty" process that read characters and fed them into a pty
    >> if cooked mode is useful.

    Curt> Gee, that could make life interesting for those of us who
    Curt> use serial consoles.

  A serial console is *not* a modem device.
  I'm suggesting that treating serial devices connected to modems as
just a special case of serial devices connected to terminals no longer
works.
  One almost *never* does UUCP or PPP on a serial console :-)
  (I saw almost, because I can think of situations where I have.)

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.