Subject: more ram problems
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/29/1996 00:02:50
  Well, I got most of *my* ram problems solved through trial and
error.
  We went to reinstall my friend <adekok@gandalf.ca>'s machine. (His
drive with NetBSD on it died).
  During the first attempt on Monday, I managed to hose my SunOS X11R6
on latour.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. Major DUH on my part combined with
some file system damage. (The machine had an uptime of about 160 days)
  It got "fixed" by installing NetBSD on a spare partition. (with the
old root, and /usr mounted on /emul/sunos...) I now have expunged
SunOS from my local use (YEAH!)
  I copied Xsun and the fonts to the local drive, but run everything
on my larger sun3 (amaterasu.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca). The good/bad news is
that I had to give my firewall back. The good news part is that I
might be able to act as a sort of "ref" site if there is a desire to
do this.
  So, we're here, second try (with home made plum wine).
  We are getting:

	Memory error on CPU cycle!
	  ctx=4, vaddr=0xe0f753c, paddr=0x29600
	  csr=d8<IPEND,IENA,CHK,ERR3>
	panic: all bets are off...
	Stopped at _Debugger+0x6trap type=0x0, code=0x155,v=0x4e0e8afe
	kernel: Bus error trap
	trap during panic!

   it then cycles until the watchdog reset goes off.
  I'm just starting a SUP.

  Neat. We had got a simple version of this, and then pulled the third
bank of ram (it had 12Mb) leaving it with 8Mb. We about to pull the
second bank of ram leaving it with 4Mb. It passed the diag boot tests,
the jumpers are correct.

  Argh.

  We have removed the additional ram. Is it just the ram that is bad,
or is the MMU screwed?

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.