Subject: Re: Pricing...
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/24/1996 20:49:46
Julian Bean said:

>I wouldn't go above $75 for a 3/60 with Colour Monitor (less if it has no
>RAM), less if it is mone.  A 3/50 - around $30?  Maybe $20 without monitor
>or $40 with - these machines require a fair degree of technical expertise
>to earn their keep (XKernels are your best bet).  I'm not entirely sure
>what I'd give for the more powerful Sun3s - I don't think I'd go over $100
>for any, myself.

In the Boston area, I have a bunch of 3/50s that are pretty much free for
the taking.  They each have a monitor and keyboard/mouse, and 8 or 12
megs of memory.  No mouse pads.  I also have a 3/140 diskless (no scsi
controller).

>For SLC/ELCs, I would say in the $100-200 range.  The trick is to pick them
>off companys which are doing clearouts... they have little market value
>really (almost exclusively to NetBSD users, in fact ;-)

Sun is giving companies $1500-$1800 trade-in for SLC/ELCs and Sun 4c
models.

>Of course, YMMV.  I have seen stupidly high (IMO) prices on
>comp.sys.sun.{wanted,hardware} - which are good places to look for pricing
>info at least.

On the other hand, I didn't feel at all silly buying a Sparc 2 with 32
megs of memory, a 1 gig drive, a cdrom drive, and a 17" color monitor
for $3200, refurbished and warranteed for one year.  After all, I might
have wasted my money on a flimsy, fast depreciating Pentium nightmare. :-)
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com