Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 problems
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/17/1996 16:31:02
Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com> wrote:

: NetBSD 1.1.  The hard disk is a Quantum TRB850S FAST SCSI-2.

<snip>

I have a Mac II running NetBSD (1.2BETA) and have had many errors on my
TRB850S. Also rcvd them under v1.1. Often, it would be various read errors
on my root partition. I moved my root to another HD and it seems to work
fine. I still had my /usr partition the on the Quantum and it destroyed
two blocks. Two REALLY important blocks. I wound up newfs'ing and
reinstalling things. I've had to do this several times now.

There has been numerous errors like this reported in port-mac68k and the
Fireball is another. Some report the drives work just fine.

Under NetBSD-mac68k, we have a second SCSI driver avail (as opposed to the
ncr5380 driver). I've recompiled my kernel with that and going to see
how it goes. I've been told that it works much better. I'll see in a week
or so. Usually takes about that long for the fs to become corrupt.

Hopefully this may shed some light into both of our problems. Could be
related to the driver in NetBSD. I haven't heard of any definitive
solutions for this (besides the alternate driver).

Greg Putrich - Internet: gregp@primenet.com                          [PINE]
Public Key 27E97EBD = 62 0E B9 A2 45 D2 64 AC 8A B4 6D 9D 5B 23 90 1F

    "This is not rocket science, it's brain surgery." - C.M. Burns