Subject: Upgrading to -current
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Newton <newton@communica.com.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/23/1996 09:54:27
As the proud owner of a Sun 3/60, I installed NetBSD-1.1 a few days ago.
After changing si_options to 7 in ncr_si.c, I proceeded to be very
impressed:  It's somewhat ironic that such an obselete piece of hardware
now has such a modern operating system on it, but I guess that's life in
the UNIX world, eh? :-)

Although I'm new to NetBSD, I'm not at all new to BSD in general:  I was
weened on SunOS and Ultrix, and I started with BSD at home back in the
386BSD-0.1 days.  I've been running FreeBSD since the first day it was
released, so I consider myself competent with BSD UNIXen in general.  With
this in mind, I decided to leap for NetBSD-current (1.1's si driver sucks,
so it wasn't a hard decision :-)

I sucked down the tarballs for -current yesterday and installed them last
night.  My first step was to attempt to build a -current kernel, but
that was an abysmal failure:  /sys/nfs/nfs_vnops.c failed to compile
with the -1.1 compiler (complained about an internal compiler error about
3500-or-so lines into the file).  At that point I resigned myself to
writing-off the machine for a couple of days as it rebuilt the entire
system from scratch:  cd /usr/src; make build.

Yow!  That isn't going to work either.  I've now started it on two occasions,
and after running for about two hours it falls over whilst running
"make depend" in lib/librpcsvc.  The compiler and "make" abort with Bus
Errors and exec() causes more of 'em (so I can no longer login to
the machine).  This has now happened twice.

I'd like to be able to login to the machine and give more precise
error messages, line numbers, etc, but unfortunately I'm at work at the
moment and attempting to connect to the box yields:

newton@psychotic> telnet squish.apana.org.au.
Trying 203.14.159.12 ...
Connected to squish.apana.org.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

... from which I surmise that exec() has stopped working again :-)  The
system will just have to stay like that until I get home from work and
reboot it (oh well:  At least I'll get some work today, instead of
telnet'ing back home and hacking NetBSD when nobody's looking -- "Larval
stage" is bad for the work ethic <grin>).

Can anyone offer any pointers to info sources which deal with upgrading
from 1.1 to -current?  Could this be related to the rumored flakiness
of the ncr_si driver when si_options = 7 ?  Has anyone had more success
than I have?  Should the build be carried out in single-user or multi-user
mode?  Am I wasting my time?

For reference:

    System:  Sun 3/60, (68020 + FPU)
             cgfour card (with accompanying big, heavy, monolithic monitor:
                          urgh!)
             basic-standard si controller with QIC-24 tape and SUN0535 disk

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

    - mark

---
Mark Newton                               Email: newton@communica.com.au
Systems Engineer                          Phone: +61-8-373-2523
Communica Systems                         WWW:   http://www.communica.com.au