Subject: Re: HD speed
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.del.ufrj.br>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/10/1996 15:08:04
> > Are there any clues for improving my Sun 3/60 HD performance?
> > It is below 100kb/s!!
> >
> > The configuration is as follows:
> > 	Sun 3/60 -- 16Mb RAM, cg4 frame
> > 	HD Micropolis model 4110, 1Gb.
> > 	NetBSD 1.1 (1.2 soon, I hope)
>
>   A problem in NetBSD 1.1.  SunOS 4.1.1 doens't have this problem and
> hopefully NetBSD 1.2 will not either.  I'm waiting for 1.2 to be released
> because compiling it on teh system is slow and ugly.   You can attempt to
> increase the speed by profiling the kernel (read last_minute in the
> SUN-NetBSD port directory for 1.1 release).  it didn't help much for me
> so I went back to SunOS 4.1.1.

I have spoken to some people in IRC who run NetBSD-1.1 in 3/60
out of the box and they told me that they have good results.

Well, about 75kb/s is bad, but I tried to have this machine be
the boot server for another 3/60 and the performance was still
worse: 4.5kb/s!!  It is almost slower than a modem!!!! :((((

----
	Pappires