Subject: more netboot questions
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Foster <jmfoster@backson.corp.sgi.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/08/1996 17:01:24
hi all,

thanks very much for all the suggestions. Currently I am trying to netboot a
3/50 from an sgi machine. I have both the netboot 1.2e and a SunNetboot program
that almost work. After the tftp transfer I get a bootparamd : whoami call
fail.

here a snip from the SYSLOG on the sgi server:

Aug  8 16:54:56 6D:backson tftpd[3106]: cage.corp.sgi.com: read request for
/usr/local/boot/C06691F3: success
Aug  8 16:54:57 3D:backson rpc.bootparamd[3034]: receive request 1
Aug  8 16:54:57 3D:backson rpc.bootparamd[3034]: bp_getclntent for
cage.corp.sgi.com failed.

the netbsd netboot program says boot: netbsd-rd: Input/output error
and returns a boot prompt.

What am I missing?

here is my /etc/bootparams

Entries for "cage"
cage    root=backson.corp.sgi.com:/var/tmp/netboot \
( maybe not the best place, but ...)
I also turn yp off when I am trying to boot, because out NIS server trys to
respond and does not have the Sun entry in its /etc/ethers file.

thanks again for allthe pointers and help,

Jeff

--
Jeff Foster                            System Administrator/TLC, ISAC
Silicon Graphics, Inc.