Subject: Re: net booting sun 3 help
To: Jeff Foster <jmfoster@palladium.corp.sgi.com>
From: Jeff Mickey <jmic@tezcat.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/08/1996 00:04:15
On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Jeff Foster wrote:

> Well I have made a little progress on booting my Sun3/50 from an sgi
> box, but I am not there yet. Hope someone might help.
>
> I have gotten the sgi host to provide an IP address, via rarpd and the
> tftp transfer happens. After the tftp transfer, the Sun says this:
>
> >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision: 1.2 $]
> Requesting Internet address for 8:0:20:1:97:33
>

> Seems like it is asking for the IP again. I have rpc.bootparamd running
> on the sgi machine,but it never gets a request from netboot. The funny
> thing is I have to kill ypbind to get the rarp request to work because
> the real yp server does not have the /etc/ehters entry for the Sun, that
> is  local. Would having ypbind off then create problems for netboot?

	This is a vary long shot..but...where do you have tftpd pointed in
inetd.conf?...this looks a lot like what i get in a net install...SGI to
SGI..if i type "machine:/CDROM/" insted of "machine:/CDROM/dist"...itll
cycal through, not find what it wants and ask for the IP adress of the
machine im boot/installing from....like i said a long shot...and a long
day...:)
jeff