Subject: Re: Problems with fonts on the X server.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A.Arnold <arnold@zam331.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/29/1996 08:59:19
On Jul 28, 10:43pm, David Gilbert wrote:
> Subject: Problems with fonts on the X server.
> 	I'm having problems with the Xserver finding standard fonts.
> I'm using pretty much a standard 1.1 distribution.  The Xserver stuff
> was from the netbsd server, too.  I have installed all four X11R6 tar
> files --- including fonts and morefonts... but I get messages like the
> following:
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string "*-new century
schoolbook-medium-r-normal-*-180-*" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Cannot convert string "*-new century
schoolbook-bold-r-normal-*-180-*" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Cannot convert string "*-new century
schoolbook-bold-i-normal-*-240-*" to type FontStruct

You have to add the additional fonts' directories to your font path.  Try
adding lines like

 xset +fp /usr/X11R6/.../75dpi   (don't remember the complete path, sorry!)

to your startx or xinitrc script.

By the way, I have a problem with the xconsole program iuncluded in the
same packages.  The only thing I get is a message 'could not open console',
regardless how I set the program's and /dev/console's permissions.  This is
a bit annoying since all console messages keep mixing up my X screen.
Any ideas ?

Alfred Arnold

Alfred Arnold                                 Phone: +49 (2461) 61-2434
Zentralinstitut fuer Angewandte Mathematik    Fax  : +49 (2461) 61-6656
Forschungszentrum Juelich                     E-Mail: a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de
D-52425 Juelich, Germany

Why use Windows, since there is a door?