Subject: Invalid Page Bus Error
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/27/1996 15:06:59
The -3/150 I've been running NetBSD/sun3 on has been failing to reboot.
I'll tell it to reboot, and sometimes it will print "syncing disks..."
and never come back from that.  When it does, though, I get the
following (the exact numbers may vary; these were copied from the most
recent occurrence):

syncing disks... done
Kernel rebooting...
Boot: sd(0,0,0)
Invalid Page Bus Error:
  Vaddr: 0DFFF813, Paddr: 00001813, Type 0, Read, FC 5, Size 1 at 0x00004014

If I then type "b" to the prompt, it comes up apparently normally.

This is very annoying, because it happens reliably, meaning that I
cannot remotely reboot the machine.  (This wouldn't be so much of a
problem, except that the "everything dumps core" and "mystery D wait"
bugs are still very much present.)

Anyone have any idea what's upsetting the ROMs (for I'm sure it's the
ROMs that are printing this)?  Or more to the point, is there anything
I can do about it?

Is there perhaps some way to teach reboot to have it do a "k2" rather
than "b sd(0,0,0)" when rebooting?  That always works for me....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D