Subject: SCSI HD disklabeling
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.del.ufrj.br>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/19/1996 00:24:36
Hello, All.

I have just got an 1Gb HD to my Sun 3/60 and have set it up with
minor problems.  However, the performance is *extremely* poor in
my opinion.

Experiencing with dd to create and read files in the disk, I got
the empirical result that 2048 byte blocks gave me the best
result in data transfer rate.  And this is not an amazing speed,
only 128kb/second! :-(  Surprisingly to me, the performance was
about 72k/s to blocksizes of both 1024 and 4096 bytes, 54kb/s
to both 512 and 8192 bytes, and so on.  I don't understand why.

Would file system performance be better if I set up block or fragment
size to 2048 bytes?  I currently use fragsize=1024 and blocksize=4096.

Is there any other way to improve FS performance using an HD?
And is there an accurate method for measuring normal FS performance
under normal use?

Regards,
	Pappires