Subject: SCSI Question....
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Graff <phlat@netime.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/18/1996 07:56:45
Ok now here is a question that I have gotten _many_ conflicting answers
on...

What kind of SCSI controller is on the Sun3/160M system?  SCSI-1 or -2?

I would like to get a drive for this system soon but the problem that I
have right now is that I don't know what kind of drive I can hang off of
it...

Right now there is a 50 pin (3-rows) D-Connector on it (VME Board That
is) and that's about all that I have to identify the VME board except for
the fact that it has the label "SCSI" painted next to the port.

Now the thing that is "confusing" is that I have heard conflicting rumors
that I can hang a SCSI-2 HD off of a SCSI-1 controller or (the more
logical) hang a SCSI-1 HD off of a SCSI-2 controller.  I'm realy confused
as SCSI hardware has been a bit of "black magic" to me for the last 7 or
so years...like I knew it was there but wasn't going near it because the
PC hardware was so exorbitantly expensive that it wasn't an option.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

--Dave
Out the interface, through the subnet, over the router, through the other
subnet, out the Gateway...Nothing but 'Net.