Subject: new scsi woes; i beat bootparamd! =)
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Elijah Wright <ewright@multipro.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/18/1996 00:22:58
Well, it would seem that I've now conquered rpc.bootparamd.  The Linux
implementation of RPC is really pretty nasty.  I had to recompile portmap as
well.  =(

Now, I'm trying to newfs an old emulex box with a 300 meg (supposedly;
that's what it reports at boot-time.  I think it is  a micropolis 1558 ESDI)
drive in it.

I set up my a and g partitions as one would expect, but when I try to do a

newfs -O /dev/sd0g

it comes back with

"newfs:  /dev/sd0g not a character-special device
sd0(si0:0:0):  illegal request, data <BLAHBLAHBLAH>
write error:  599999
wtfs: invalid argument
"

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this garbage to get spit out?
It did just fine when I wrote the "A" partition.   Am I doing something
goofy that I just don't know about?

Elijah
ewright@multipro.com