Subject: Re: SMD disk support status? Does it WORK?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Elijah Wright <ewright@multipro.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/14/1996 22:41:47
>Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:41:00 -0500
>To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
>From: Elijah Wright <ewright@multipro.com>
>Subject: Re: SMD disk support status? Does it WORK?
>
>At 08:17 AM 7/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Jul 1996 23:35:49 -0500
>>Some months ago, someone submitted a PR that got the SMD (at least one
>>flavor; xd, I believe) working.  The same problems existed in the xy
>>driver, and they were fixed as well, I believe.  I've put the author of
>>the drivers (Chuck Cranor) on the CC line; he should be able to answer
>>this accurately.  I know chuck is using the drivers under NetBSD/sparc.
>
>I'm not so sure that this SMD pack even works, since the guy i'm getting it
from isn't sure either.  (IE it hasn't been booted as long as he's had it)
If it works, I'll be a new test case for getting it working with NetBSD.  =)
I think that the board is a Xylogics multibus on the VME adapter.  Oh,
here's the PN# and description from the FAQ:

>>501116621527	Xylogics 451 SMD controller, Multibus in Multibus-VME converter
>

>>*501117011423	scsi adapter, internal only
>>*501126906642
>>(This is a single card with 2 part number tags)
>
>This is the other card, which I also haven't seen yet.  Would one of those
cards be a tape controller?  The FAQ doesn't seem to say for sure.

>>If it's the QIC tape behind Emulex bridge, I don't know.  I have,
>>however, recently resurrected my 3/60 (which has been running NetBSD
>>ever since I bought it from a friend of mine, but was turned off mostly
>>due to the weather getting warmer in San Jose :-).  I have one of these
>>tape bridges and matching Wangtek drive.  I was thinking of going on a
>>bug hunt...
>
>I'm willing to accompany you.  I'll let you know what sort of hardware it
is once I actually get the machine tomorrow afternoon.  I suspect that it
is, but don't know for sure.  See teh aboce note on wierd part numbers; that
might give some clue.  =)