Subject: Re: Is the exec of /sbin/init done as root?
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/03/1996 13:15:48
On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> What evidence do you have that the kernel does not access the root
> NFS mount as root?  If so, can you explain the reason it happens?

The evidence I have comes from when I did my Sparc install about two
weeks ago.  I was using my 3/80 as the RARP, BOOTPARAMD and NFS server.
In /etc/exports I explicitly had it map root to root and I was still
getting access violations (determined by a tcpdump of the session).
Maybe I did something wrong.  I don't have hard evidence as to which UID
it was querying with.  In any case, it was simpler for me to change the
permissions than to track down why it wasn't working.

-J