Subject: Re: -current and broken nfs...
To: LANCE TOST <ltost@erols.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/30/1996 15:04:08
Quoting LANCE TOST,

> I did get this to work by playing around with the options... can't
> remember off hand (i'm at work), but i thik i just used
> -P,-w=1024,-r=1024 (mounting off of a linux server).

This is sometimes needed with Linux servers. They seem to have problems,
at least, when I tested it about 4 months ago, if they are x86 systems
with some versions of either wd8013 or ne2000 cards in them (I also
tested a NetBSD/i386 setup with the same card and it worked).

> Hrmm.. i didn't do a make includes from /usr/src/include, BUT i did do a
> make include from /usr/src... please tell me this accomplishes the same
> thing :)

It should yes.

> I'm new to netbsd > (but familiar with linux) and was just wondering...
> why do i have to recompile this stuff after a new kernel?

In this case, the structure that has the arguments to the mount() system
call changed (that part of the kernel changed quite a bit because NFSv3
support was brought in). So mount and mount_nfs needed to be recompiled
to actually use the new structure and pass it on to the kernel. You
may see similar cases of having to recompile userland things after
a kernel change if they affect, say, the proc structure or some
global data structures accessed via libkvm. Not that these changes
come that often, but it happens.

- Frank