Subject: Using Linux to serve a diskless NetBSD Sun 3/60 [The saga contin
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Rhyason <jeffr@agt.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/27/1996 12:24:14
IMMENSE THANKS to everyone who has helped me previously.  I'd like to
summarize for anyone who is trying to do this.

Hi!  Guess what?  It mostly works!  I figured out what the problems
were.  There is something silly with rpc.nfsd on the Slackware Linux
2.1 CD; so I compiled and installed the one from the Xkernel source
and it worked flawlessly.  No "permission denied" problems.
or anything.

On some Linux systems, rpc.bootparamd will not compile; this is easy
to fix.  I don't know exactly what the problems with Linux and this
are, but using another UNIX's rpcgen seems to solve the problem.
(Compile the code on another machine, copy all the products to the
Linux machine, then remove anything regarding rpcgen from the
Makefile, make clean, and make).

/sbin/init will never run when UIDs are being quashed; so it is best
to run in "insecure" mode and/or "no_root_quash".  I also found that
it is a good idea to remake the devices when the machine boots, to
prevent some permissions problems (Linux doesn't have an "operator"
group of the same uid as BSD by default).

The other things which are integral are obvious, but I just forgot
them; to edit /etc/* to be appropriate, including setting up an
fstab (from fstab.nfs) as well as a hosts* and "myname" which
accurately reflects the names and IP addresses.

The other thing I had to do to avoid some problems was to add a few
more megs of memory.  It is best to put the faster memory in the
first slots, and slower Sun memory last (I found that it will not
test correctly otherwise).

I am still trying to get the swapfile to work; if you can help I
would love it!  I'll include exports, and bootparams for you.
Thanks tonnes!

exports:
	/usr monte-cristo.agt.net(rw,insecure)

bootparams:
monte-cristo.agt.net root=1.1.1.1:/usr/export/root/netbsd.sun3 \
	swap=1.1.1.1:/usr/export/root/netbsd.sun3/swapfile

I created the swapfile with
	dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=16k count=1024
	on the Sun.

Thanks,
	Jeff