Subject: Weirdities (was: Re: a question about bwtwo1 (cgfour))
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jari Kokko <jkokko@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/27/1996 14:05:46
In article <199605231234.PAA22083@jung.hut.fi> I write:
>PS. the problem is that I seem to have a fried SCSI onboard my current
>3/60 w/bwtwo, and might have to replace it with one w/cgfour. Can
>anyone guess why a SCSI-chain of 3 Micropolises suddenly stopped
>working? The PROM monitor reports scsi: "select failed", no matter if
>I try with only one disk, or the whole chain. Do these things just
>drop dead without warnings?

Well, since I wrote that, I tried booting diagnostic, and then some
weird things started to happen:
  -I got one LED error pattern, which I think was interrupt controller
   something error
  -I got a normal boot, and got a running system for a while, then
   it hung when I was pinging a host (ppp), but the LEDs kept walking
  -I got an MMU fault panic
  -I got parity errors from si0, fscking, system hung
  -I got a non-diagnostic boot to work
  -I got a non-diagnostic boot, which left LED 1 on, the others,
   except LED 0 dimly blinking
  -I got a memory error LED pattern booting DIAG
  -I got a crashed system, which panicked reporting error in CPU cycle
   and said that all bets were off (which I knew :-)
  -plus various other things which I can't remember

With such clear diagnostics, it's easy to say that _something_ is
definitely wrong :-)

I don't have a terminal so I can't say what it reports when booting
diagnostic, but I don't trust the PROM no more, with such irregular
behaviour NORM vs. DIAG. Mr. Seebach suggested that I might have a bad
IDPROM, but that seems to be okay, because I get the correct system-id
and ethernet address. Could it be the boot PROM? (It's a rev. 1.6).
Also, could a bad (display) monitor cause something to break on the
mother? All this started to happen when I tested a Viking...

Damn, it's weird!

Jari Kokko

PS. It's not NetBSD, I know, but I hope this interests most Sun 3
owners.