Subject: Re: Why don't we have 'options GATEWAY' in GENERIC?
To: Scott Ellis <sellis@rohan.sdsu.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/21/1996 23:46:04
On Tue, 21 May 1996, Scott Ellis wrote:

> Out of curiousity, why is the Sun3 port the only one w/o GATEWAY in the
> GENERIC kernel config file?  It works fine, seems like it should be in
> there.

This is more than a matter of curiousity for me. I've got a colour
3/60 at home which is also the Internet gateway for my network. We
have to use this because for some reason on my girlfriend's PC, on
which we just installed Windows 95, the mouse pointer stops working
as soon as we start a PPP connection. (It works just fine otherwise.
I don't even want to think about it.)

Unfortunately, the kernels since 1.1B crash when they try to
autoconfig the cgfour. So if I compile a new kernel, I don't get
a cgfour, and thus don't get X. (I can config the bwtwo plane on
that card to bwtwo0, but unfortunately XSunMono doesn't seem to
want to find it.)

Now I do have a 1.1A kernel where the cgfour and X work, but
unfortuantely it doesn't have options GATEWAY enabled. I thought
I'd just set the _ipforwarding variable to 1, but I can't do that
because I can't debug it with gdb because the magic number is wrong.

So if I want my machine to gateway, I don't get X, which is painful
to me, and if I get X, my machine can't gateway and my girlfriend
can't get on to the Internet, which is painful to her.

See what kind of mess leaving out these important options causes? :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.