Subject: Re: Booting a 3/60 diskless
To: Dilbert's Evil Twin <ccallana@ns.net>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/19/1996 12:08:12
In message <203602070826.AAA01180@chimay.brewery.org>, "Dilbert's Evil Twin" wr
ites:
>    3/60
>        Memory:         24M physical, 256M virtual, 200ns cycle
>maybe you have the LE version.

No, I meant that I remembered the Sun Hardware FAQ I read
(pointed to by NetBSD web site) saying there was a max of 12MB, which was
wrong; I have a machine which takes 24MB.  Evidently the one you cite is
correct.  Maybe I just mis-remember.

>nfs, bootparam, tftp, rarp, portmap,    i think thats it...
>i think the only security risk you run is the tftp.  but if you set
>it up right, it should be pretty secure.

Ug, well, that's a slight oversimplification.  I know NFS, at least,
is full of security holes and cannot be made secure, on advice from
several firewall experts (including Brent Chapman).  I'm not a net security
expert (but soon will be) so I can't really comment on any others.
But that's a subject for another mailing list and not here...

Thanks