Subject: Re: Swap-First - Re: your install problem
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: John Little <gaijin@doemail.sbi.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/16/1996 08:16:53
%
% > No, swap at the "beginning of the disk" will usually cause the disk
% > label to be overwritten [...]
%
% That's what I thought too, when I first heard of this problem.  But if
% you go look at swfree(), in vm/vm_swap.c, you'll see that it explicitly
% makes sure that it doesn't "use the first cluster of the device in case
% it starts with a label or boot block".
%

   Yup! You're absolutely right... and it's well commented too (said
   he, hoping that the heat from his red face wouldn't melt the
   keyboard too badly).

   So, Curt... define "didn't work" in the context of a swap-first disk.
   What happened?

 |           John Little          |    Salomon Brothers Asia Limited   |
 |       gaijin@japan.sbi.com     |        Business Technology         |
 |        Japan 03-5574-5296      |       2-20. Akasaka 5-Chome,       |
 |         FAX 03-5574-5585       |     Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, Japan    |