Subject: Re: Swap-First - Re: your install problem
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/15/1996 05:25:50
>> Ah, so that's why I never could get my system to work with the swap
>> at the beginning of the disk!
> No, swap at the "beginning of the disk" will usually cause the disk
> label to be overwritten [...]

That's what I thought too, when I first heard of this problem.  But if
you go look at swfree(), in vm/vm_swap.c, you'll see that it explicitly
makes sure that it doesn't "use the first cluster of the device in case
it starts with a label or boot block".  Now mind you, this code may be
broken somehow - tho it looks about right to me - but it's certainly
not as simple as just swapping over the disk label.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu