Subject: Swap-First - Re: your install problem
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: John Little <gaijin@doemail.sbi.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/15/1996 11:51:37
%
% Ah, so that's why I never could get my system to work with the swap
% at the beginning of the disk!
%

   No, swap at the "beginning of the disk" will usually cause the disk
   label to be overwritten (a normal Unix partition will start with the
   master superblock in sector 16, swap doesn't use a Unix
   filesystem).  Try making a tiny dummy partition to protect at least
   the first sixteen sectors (usually using one cylinder is the
   simplest way to do this) and then create your swap partition.

 |           John Little          |    Salomon Brothers Asia Limited   |
 |       gaijin@japan.sbi.com     |        Business Technology         |
 |        Japan 03-5574-5296      |       2-20. Akasaka 5-Chome,       |
 |         FAX 03-5574-5585       |     Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, Japan    |