Subject: Re: your install problem
To: Ron Parise <parise@gelato.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: D.Linford <dlinford@myra.nebulus.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1996 11:04:08
> With the SCSI drive:
>
> Same as above but root fs mounts OK
> run install OK
> when I am asked if I want the root fs on sd0a a say yes.
> the system responds with "skipped" and then continues.
> later when it tries to write to sd0a it says it can't due to
> "INCORRECT SUPERBLOCK" and I am bounced out to the miniroot prompt.

	We were having odd problems like this. It turns out that
the sequencing of partitions is important, in that the logical
partitions need to physically occur in sequence.

	It is not documented. I guess it is one of those things
that most folks always do a certain way, and easily make assumptions
about. Our problmes were very much like yours, weird things with newfs
and mounting etc.. I was wanting to make it possible to leave part of
the drive available for another system, so we had need to be weird.

	Could someone tell me where to find out more about the
physical part of the partition table? I need to have the first two
sectors available for the other system to lay down its
partition table, if I'm to do this...

dean