Subject: None
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ron Parise <parise@gelato.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1996 11:00:38
I have been having a tremendous amount of trouble trying to install NetBSD
on a Sun 3/50 or 3/60. I have a couple of different drives I have tried. One
is a SCSI/ESDI bridge interface and one is a regular SCSI. I am using the
Patch_1.1 install distribution.

With the SCSI/ESDI:

ramdisk kernel loads from tape OK
edlabel edits the disklabel OK
miniroot seems to copy to the b partition OK
miniroot boots from the b partition but then I get that wonderful
error message  "panic: can't mount root" and get I dumped into the debugger.

With the SCSI drive:

Same as above but root fs mounts OK
run install OK
when I am asked if I want the root fs on sd0a a say yes.
the system responds with "skipped" and then continues.
later when it tries to write to sd0a it says it can't due to
"INCORRECT SUPERBLOCK" and I am bounced out to the miniroot prompt.

I have tried formatting and reformatting both drives (with Sun OS since
NetBSD doesn't seem to have format in the ramdisk fs). I have messed with
the partition sizes etc. And to no avail.

Anybody have any ideas? I am getting very frustrated!

Ron Parise
parise@gelato.gsfc.nasa.gov