Subject: Re: bwtwo questions
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: John Little <gaijin@doemail.sbi.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/14/1996 08:08:30
%
% Everyone said the monitor cannot be readjusted for 1600x1280; the
% reason I brought this up is that it certainly appeared to be capable of
% approximately the right scan frequences - the characters were about the
% correct size both vertically and horizontally; they were just broken up
% horizontally, as if horizontal sync were badly mis-adjusted.  What _is_
% the difference between the 1152x900 and the 1600x1280 monitors?
% (Besides price. :-)
%

   The reason that it gives a semi-appearance of working is because the
   difference in horizontal scan rate is very close to 1.5 that of the
   normal monitor for the high-res. You get to see some detail in the
   displayed raster even though it's not even close to working
   correctly.

   The line frequency (horizontal scan) rate for the high-res is
   89.3Khz while that of the normal monitor is 61.8Khz. The field
   (vertical scan) rates are almost identical at 66Hz and 67Hz.

   The high-res monitors are actually completely different beasties
   from the standard models and were built by different suppliers.
   [ As an aside here... these high-res monitors are even more prone
   than the standards to "runaway". That is, if the monitor is left
   switched on but disconnected from a source of sync, the line
   oscillator will "hunt" around and usually cause various not-nice
   things to happen - short circuit line transformers and punch-through
   of the driver transistors. Switch your monitors off when they're
   not connected to a system. ]

   The mod to the CPU to enable low/standard resolution was rumoured
   to have been a one off within the tech-labs at Sun. It involved not
   only replacement of the clock-oscillator, but also of at least one
   PAL. Not a viable proposition for most folks.

 |           John Little          |    Salomon Brothers Asia Limited   |
 |       gaijin@japan.sbi.com     |        Business Technology         |
 |        Japan 03-5574-5296      |       2-20. Akasaka 5-Chome,       |
 |         FAX 03-5574-5585       |     Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, Japan    |