Subject: -current failing on cg4 autoconfig on 3/60
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/10/1996 10:12:00
Gordon,

This is basically an FYI that I'm cc'ing to the list.

It seems that the problem on my 3/60s with -current kernels is
definitely related to get cg4 autoconfig in some way. I tried out
a -current kernel from a couple of days ago on my monochrome 3/60
and it booted, although when it finally finished /etc/rc it just
gave repeated messages on the console about getty repeating too
fast on the keyboard and both serial ports. (There's the usual
getty.core in the root directory, so I presume this is still the
bug we know and love.)

So I removed all of the cgX stuff from a kernel config file and
compiled a new kernel and, voila, it works on the colour 3/60!

I'm sure you've got plenty to work on with the VM bug at this point,
and I can swap the one colour 3/60 I do have that uses a monitor
for a monochrome one, so I think the best move is to just ignore
this problem until I get around to actually doing some further work
on it to track it down.

I notice that the kgdb stuff for the zs chips is allegedly not
tested yet. Have you used it at all? I tried to compile a system
with `options KGDB', but it seems to be looking for
sys/arch/sun3/sun3/kgdb_stub.c, which I assume needs all of those
nifty functions that are in the sparc version of that file (but
sun3 versions of them of course).

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.