Subject: Sun 3/50 miniroot problems
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ron Parise <parise@gelato.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/02/1996 09:17:49
I am trying to install netBSD on an old Sun 3/50M. The machine has 4 MB of
memory, an Adaptec scsi/esdi disk controller with one 630 MB drive, and a
150 MB Archive Viper scsi tape. Yes I am using the install-11-p1 distribution.

I am at the point of trying to boot miniroot from the swap partition. After a
couple of pages of messages including a bunch of data errors from the scsi probe
which are either devices it doesn't find or partitions that don't exist on my
disk I get the following:

rd0 at mainbus0
rd1 at mainbus0
root on sd0b
swap on sd0b
dump on sd0b
WARNING: clock gained 139 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
Preserved 15966 blocks of miniroot leaving 8752 pages of swap
si0: unrecognized MESSAGE EXTENDED; sending REJECT
si0: unrecognized MESSAGE EXTENDED; sending REJECT
si_dma_start: fifo_count=0xffff, xlen=0x1e00
Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
db>

at this point if I issue a continue command I get:

si0: fifo_count=0x200
kernel text/data/bss not mapped

and although I appear to be at the monitor prompt, the machine is totally
dead and requires a power cycle to fix it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Ron Parise
parise@gelato.gsfc.nasa.gov