Subject: Re: internal scsi on 3/60
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Litt <ajlitt@mail.utexas.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/02/1996 02:00:39
Lau wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Simply Insane wrote:
>
> > Something that was brought up to me a while back...
> >
> > it appears, inside a 3/60, that there is a solder field to put
> > in an internal scsi connector, and there is room and the mount
> > holes to mount a 1/2 height scsi drive right to the board.
> >
> > am i just dreaming?? has anyone done this??
>
> I haven't, but someone on comp.sys.sun.wanted did just post up a 3/60
> that has this, an internal harddrive mounted.  It seems that some 3/60's
> were built w/ a power connector, internal scsi & a mount for a HD.
>
> I'll have to pull mine out sometime and take a look.  But I don't think
> mine has the hardware for it.
>
> Kin Lau

I think while most 3/60s don't actually have the headers installed, the
PC board holes are there. You just have to desolder them and solder in
the appropriate parts. The SCSI connector is the 50-pin header going
behind the DB50 SCSI connector. The power for the drive, I believe, is
the set of 4 large pads in the upper left side of the board by the fuse
(not the keyboard one). I don't know the pinout for this, but I think it
follows standard IBM PC style drive power connector layout. I'm planning
on getting hold of a 120Mb SCSI drive that should fit, and I'll probably
use a salvaged PC drive cable and solder the leads directly to the
board. I wonder, though. What do you need to do about termination if the
drive is internal? Also, does the termpower line come through the
internal SCSI header? And last, but not least, can I get away with 10"
of 50-pin ribbon cable (plain Jane, no twisted pairs) from the header to
the drive?

I'd really like to hear from someone who has a Sun 3/60 with an internal
drive.

--
:Andrew Litt:ajlitt@mail.utexas.edu:KC5APJ:MSTie#47556::::::::::::::
 ::"If you wanna bake a cake, you::"My other brain is a Newton."-me::