Subject: Re: Progress on the "Everything dumps core" problem
To: None <fair@clock.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/29/1996 12:54:52
[snip]

>This problem has been with us for a long time - it happened to me prior to
>the 1.1 release and prior to the DMA upgrades to the "si" driver (for
>which, I might add, I am *quite* grateful - the performance win is
>considerable - I run with si_options set to 3, since I had problems with
>{de,re}select on the older set of the disks I have).
>
>And people wonder why, despite the advantages of shared libraries (lower
>RAM consumption, ability to update library routines system-wide, etc.) that
>I am (and always have been) deeply suspicious of them as a critical
>single-point for system-wide failure...
>
>I will capture one of these errors and report to the list.
>
>Erik Fair

Sometimes when this has happened to me, I was able to ktrace an
executable which was dropping core.  Later, when the system was back,
I noted that the fault seems to occure near one of the mmap calls
while trying to arrange the shared libraries in memory.  I have had no
time to follow this any further.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org