Subject: Re: diskless install?
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1996 13:01:43
[ On Thu, March 14, 1996 at 15:16:09 (EST), Gordon W. Ross wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: diskless install?
>
> > Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:20:56 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Daniel Garcia <kender@hollyfeld.org>
> > root on bitsy:/usr/NetBSD/icarus/root
> > WARNING: bad date in battery clock -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
> > swap on bitsy:/usr/NetBSD/icarus/swap
>
> When this is the last thing you see, it usually means init
> can not open the console device.  Does /dev/console exist?

I was about to send-pr that yesterday, but I ran out of time....

I don't know how many times I've forgotten to run /dev/MAKEDEV, and
every time I do, it takes far far far too long to debug, as I always
done them just far enough apart to forget just what's wrong when it
hangs at this point.

Why oh why doen't init spit out a simple little error message the first
time this fails?

(It does seem to continue to retry the open, as if you run MAKEDEV on
the server, the machine will continue to boot, though if MAKEDEV doesn't
finish fast enough, all kinds of weirness will happen.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>