Subject: Getting cu working
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Caldon <patc@staff.cs.su.oz.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/08/1996 13:14:50
Help! I'm stuck on the other end of an adm3a+ emulation and can't
get out!

I have been struggling for the last week with getting cu working;
I don't seem to be able to get sense out of the serial port.
This is NetBSD 1.1 on a 3/60.
Things like this keep happenning:

% stty -f /dev/ttya speed
9600
% stty -f /dev/ttya 2400
% stty -f /dev/ttya speed
9600

I'm guessing that whenever the serial device is closed the device is being
reset.

% cat >/dev/ttya
Now I type random garbage^D

results in dtr on the modem going on, but the ^D will not stop the input;
^\ causes csh to dump core, stopping it.

when I try cu, I get:

% cu -s 2400 -l /dev/ttya
Connected [ At this point DTR goes on]
[I type a letter]
Input/output error.
%

Interrupting cu with ~z and examining the serial port shows that it is
it is at the right baud rate, with appropriate cs8 and -parenb.  I am yet
to work out how to extract the raw/cooked data from stty.

All of these tests seem to work fine however with my (truly) dumb terminal
via a null modem at 9600 baud.  I am a a real loss for a solution.

thanks,,
pat.