Subject: Re: CG6 and serial port support questions
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: Johnathan Vail <anvil@tapaboy.iii.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/05/1996 23:27:24
   From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
   Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:04:27 -0500 (EST)
   Cc: anvil@tapaboy.iii.net, kykim@access.digex.net, port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG

   David Gilbert said:

   >	The problem is that the chips have a 3 byte FIFO.  Those three
   >bytes are easily exhausted.  Moreover, when I'm full bore receiving
   >with ppp, the system is hit hard --- close to unusable.
   >
   >	While I can't 'know' yet --- I don't have a Sun3 to play with
   >yet, I suspect that 19200 is good fishing for a Sun3.

   When Sun switched from 68k to sparc, the decided that ring buffers
   were a good thing as compared to clists.  Thus, a Sun 3/60 had better
   serial throughput than a sparc 1+.

   To this day, the serial driver in Solaris sucks.

That explains it.  I was about to reply and say I was running a uucp
news feed over a 28K modem on a 3/80.  But then again I did have a lot
of trouble with silo overflows.  And the poor thing is struggling
mightily at the recieving end of a T1 newfeed from Alternet.

jv

 Anvil             anvil@iii.net    http://www.iii.net/users/anvil
    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"