Subject: Re: CG6 and serial port support questions
To: None <kykim@access.digex.net>
From: Johnathan Vail <anvil@tapaboy.iii.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/04/1996 23:34:00
   From: Kevin Kim <kykim@tenteus.com>
   Date: Mon,  4 Mar 96 15:35:20 -0500
   Sender: owner-port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG

   Hi,

   I tried to find the answer to these questions in the archives, but just could'nt
   find them.

   I'm thinking of switching my sun3/60 from sunos 4.1.1 to NetBSD, but I have
   two criteria that would make it worth my while.

   1) Does NetBSD support the CG6 on sun 3/60's?  It appeared to me that it didn't.
   Has this changed recently?

   2) The serial ports have a top speed of 19200 baud.  My understanding was
   that the hardware in the 3/60's could support 38400, but it was a function
   of SunOS that limited the port to 19200.  (I recall you could set the serial port

Hmmm, It is my understanding to get speeds higher than 19.2 you
couldn't do it.  We used a 3/80 or a Sun3 server with high speed
serial ports or something special on the cards.  Of course until now I
have always used SunOS so maybe that *is* where the restriction is.
But I seem to remember that the 3/80 softwas still had a problem
(stty?) with more than 19.2 and you had to do something funky to get
more than that.

I have all the docs for 3/60 and 3/80 if there's something I can look
up in it.

   speed in the boot prom manager, but that SunOS then proceeded to ignore this).
   Am I completely off base or is this true?  If so, does NetBSD support this
   higher serial port speed?

jv

 Anvil             anvil@iii.net    http://www.iii.net/users/anvil
    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"