Subject: Re: other sun questions...
To: Craig P. Forbes <craig@mccabe.com>
From: Trent McNair <trent@rmci.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/04/1996 11:12:48
On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Craig P. Forbes wrote:

> I had trouble compiling bootparamd for linux using the supplied rpcgen
> program.  I had to use the rpcgen from sunos 4.1.1 on my sun3 to
> generate the files.
>
> This problem may be fixed by now but if not and you want the
> bootparamd with the sunos rpcgen generated files you can find them at:
>
> http://www.access.digex.net/~cpforbes/pub/

Just to reafirm that, the bootparmd sources from the Linux-Xkernel alpha
release do not compile correctly.  I have been told several times that
there is a beta release but I have searched to my wits end and never
found it.  At any rate, I used the sources above and everything worked
great.  Also if you have an older prom (i.e. <= 2.3) then for now you
need to use the sun boot.sun3 instead of the NetBSD netboot, which is in
the Xkernel package as well (but works).

I have been booting my 3/50 (2.3 prom) from linux for months and still
have some issues to resolve.  Most problems I have seem to stem from
subtle differences in NFS, but I lack the expertise to solve them.

Good luck with your machine - and try to find a monitor - they're worth it!

Trent McNair
trent@rmci.net